North Lebanon Local Economic Development
North Lebanon Local Economic Development Agency is registered as a Non-Profit, Non-Governmental Organization established in March 2011 under the official registration number 611/2011.
It is an instrument for implementing regional economic development strategies.
- Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture of Tripoli and North Lebanon (CCIAT);
- Federation of Jurd Al Kayteh Municipalities in Akkar;
- Federation of Dannieh Municipalities;
- Federation of Minnieh Municipalities;
- Beekeepers Cooperative in Beit Al Faks, Dannieh;
- Livestock Husbandry and Feed Cultivation Cooperative in Akkar;
- Federation of Beekeepers Cooperatives in Akkar;
- Federation of Agricultural cooperatives in Akkar;
- Empowering, Consulting and Development Agency for Responsible citizens – (ECDAR) NGO;
- Social Movement NGO.
North LEDA was established with the support of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) ART GOLD North Lebanon Initiative.
It is a model partnership between the Public and Private Sectors and the Civil Society. It is entitled to ownership, sale and acquisition, mortgage, partnership and acceptance of donations and contributions. It aims to implement development projects in North Lebanon from Batroun to Akkar.
A General Assembly currently consisting of its founding members and is in the process of accepting new members from Municipalities, Associations, Cooperatives, Artisans and NGOs.
A Management Board:
- President: CCIAT
- Vice President: Federation of Dannieh Municipalities
- General Secretary: Livestock Husbandry and Feed Cultivation Cooperative in Akkar
- Treasurer: Federation of Jurd Al Kayteh Municipalities
- Accountant: COOP Beekeepers in Beit Al Faks in Dannieh
- Counselor: ECDAR NGO
- Counselor: Social Movement NGO
A Technical Office, through which LEDA operates, located within the CCIAT building in Tripoli and consists of a Technical Director, a Business Development Specialist, HR Officer and an Administrative Assistant, with Technical Consultants working on contractual basis on projects needs.
To contribute in securing better life conditions to North Lebanon communities enjoying sustainable economic development in a competitive environment.
Facilitate a sustainable long term harmonic and balanced development of the Northern Region of Lebanon, with carefully planned strategies that address activating the public-private sectors partnerships, valorizing human, social, economic and environmental resources and finally improving the population living conditions, providing job opportunities and pursuing social equity and environmental protection.
Achieve Sustainable Competitiveness
- Assessing the endogenous competitive potential.
- Sharing the priorities and strategic plans through local partnerships.
- Building up value chains for valorizing the strategic resources, therefore improving their performance.
- Including the most disadvantaged people in the value chains for production and services.
- Establishing a sustainable and overall system for supporting TED.
- Achieving regional marketing strategies and business relationships.
- Creating and promoting the territorial innovation system.
Improve Capacities of Local Figures
- Strengthening the capabilities of local stakeholders in planning and implementing developmental and economical projects;
- Supporting and creating networks between the private sector, public sector and civil society to coordinate and cooperate in the planning and implementation of economical projects.
- Enabling the environment for business development.
Improve Human Resource Capabilities
- Building the capacities of social groups of different ages in both technical and economical fields;
- Exchanging of know-how and expertise between economic figures, locally and internationally.
- Social inclusion.
Support Economic Activities
- Supporting businesses with potential for growth thus creating new job opportunities.
- Supporting the creation and strengthening of territorial Value Chains.
- Creating an enabling environment for the production of continuous innovations, therefore facilitating their introduction and dissemination in the economic fields.
- Facilitating access to financial funding and resources, mainly for marginalized people and entrepreneurs.
Promote the region
- Promoting the image of the region while preserving its local identity and culture;
- Developing studies and analyses of local economic and investment opportunities;
- Emphasizing the added value competitiveness of the region;
- Facilitating export of regional products;
- Facilitating international, institutional relationships and agreements with domestic and foreign administrations and regional development agencies;
- Attracting external resources and donations for the implementation of development plans.
- Non Political affiliation;
- Non-discrimination between religion, sects, areas and sex;
- Respect of human rights and rejection of violence;
- Open-mindedness and acceptance of others;
- Transparency in dealing within the team and within the administrative body;
- Positivity and professionalism within the work environment.
NORTH LEDA OPERATIONS
Based on assessment of economic activities and development interventions conditions in Northern Lebanon, North LEDA should follow a series of operations in the form of units, in order to reach its objectives; these units are as follows:
Strategic Planning Unit:
- Elaboration of Strategic Plans for the area;
- Technical support of the Municipalities and Unions in the implementation of territorial and municipal plans;
- Monitoring of regional development;
- Guidance of the members to strategic development initiatives;
Projects Development Unit:
- Economic development projects execution, management and coordination;
- Mapping of local, regional and International opportunities;
- Project proposals development assistance;
- Assistance in locating financial resources for projects.
Territorial Marketing Unit:
- Internal and external marketing strategies;
- Support of municipalities, unions, associations, and consortiums in marketing;
- Promotion and support of trademark policies;
- Provision of database and information on market trends.
Business and Technical Support Unit:
- Assessment of market opportunities;
- Technical assistance;
- Guidance to accessing credit facilitations;
- Facilitation of research and innovation;
- Promotion of value chains and supporting their development.
Human resource development Unit:
- Arrangement of entrepreneurial training;
- Improvement of the members’ capacities.
- Strategic planning
- Business development and support to SMEs
- Territory marketing
- Technical assistant for municipalities, CSOs and business startups